Living In Spain

Recruitment Spain
Job Information about Spain
Facts about Spain
Weather in Spain
Government in Spain
Politics in Spain
Economy in Spain
Population in Spain
Language in Spain
Working in Spain
Labour Laws in Spain
Getting a Visa for Spain
Getting a work and residence permit in Spain
Social protection in Spain
Income tax in Spain
Pensions in Spain
Unemployment in Spain
Unemployment benefit in Spain
Embassies and Consulates in Spain
Jobs in Spain
Types of job in Spain
Jobs in Spain
Finding a job in Spain
CV tips for Spain
Interview tips for Spain
Living in Spain
Looking for a place to live in Spain
Cost of living in Spain
Banking in Spain
Healthcare in Spain
Schools in Spain
Public transport in Spain
Driving regulations in Spain
FAQs about Spain


It is important to plan carefully if you are planning to live in Spain. With so many people from the EU community now making it their permanent home, excellent systems are in place to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Listed below are some of the things you might like to take into consideration:

Tax and inheritance laws are different from those in the UK and professional advice should be sought. The British Consul, in the area in which you intend to live, will have a list of English-speaking lawyers.

Medical facilities on the whole are excellent, with many doctors and nurses speaking English and most hospitals and clinics in tourist areas providing interpreters. The availability of services varies in each location if facilities are not available to meet your specific needs you may have to travel to another area for treatment.

In Spain it is customary for a family member to provide basic nursing care (feeding and personal hygiene) unlike the system in the UK where it would be provided by nursing staff. However, in most areas where British expatriates live, there are privately-run nursing agencies which charge commercial rates for services similar to those you would find in the UK. These charges are not normally covered by private medical insurance.

When you go to Spain to live, but not work, you may get health care cover from the UK for yourself and any accompanying dependent member of your family under the State scheme of the other country. There are different 'E' Forms depending on whether you are under or over pensionable age (60 for women, 65 for men).Health cover (E106) will only be for a limited time and how long depends on whether you can still get UK Short-term Benefit if you claim it. When this entitlement ends the UK will not give you any more health cover. If you are under pensionable age (65/60 years - male/female) at the date of departure, the appropriate Certificate to request help from the Benefits Agency is the E106.

Living in a country is very different from visiting on holiday. There are a wide range of social activities available, which are normally advertised in the local English-language media. In areas where there are already lots of expatriates living there will be more choice of English-speaking and run clubs and activities. However, every area of Spain provides some leisure/recreational facilities, although they may be conducted in Spanish.

  Home | All Jobs in Spain | Vacancies in Gibraltar |  | Contact Us | Jobs in Malta | Privacy Policy | Legal Policy Browse Companies in Spain